Saturday 7 January 2012

Great article on revising and rewriting on by MJ Hyland



MJ Hyland on revising and rewriting:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/oct/23/how-to-write-fiction-mj-hyland

Great article dispensing with the myth that good writing springs fully formed from the fevered imaginings of the er..untamed...er...see what I mean?

Revision: Every good writer is a good editor.

I should know, I've given myself the leeway of the past few months to focus on two novels that I'm writing. Initially I thought I was hot stuff because it only took me about 6 months to 'write' my novel 'Blodeuwife' (based on a celtic myth). It has since taken me almost a year to edit the first 10 chapters!

Admittedly, I have been working on a great many other, smaller, projects. Plus most of the work has been done in the past months in which I've actively blocked out time to write, but still.

Sometimes its comforting to know that even great artists have to sweat a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment